(Irish Grid Reference: H967429)
This former rectory is an elegant if somewhat understated building which has been little altered since its construction almost two centuries ago.
The Reverend Doctor Samuel Blacker of St. John's Church of Ireland at Mullaghbrack constructed it in 1829 at a cost of £4,561.8.0. Reverend Blacker resided in the house for some two decades but upon his death in 1849 was succeeded in the ministry and house by Reverend Lord John de la Poer Beresford, nephew of the Primate of Armagh.
When Lord Beresford resigned the charge in 1859, he was succeeded by Reverend Doctor J F Flavell. In 1869, the Representative Church Body of the Church of Ireland purchased the rectory but Reverend Flavell's widow continued to live in the house until her death. Upon this occasion, it was sold to lord Gosford who in turn sold it to Mr Hugh Williamson in 1911. He resided in the house until 1924 when he sold it to James Morgan. The present owners (2002) are Colin and Rosaleen Kerr.
Outwardly, the house is a typical Georgian structure with three storeys and elegant decoration. The frontal facade has three bays with the central bay protruding slightly to accommodate a welcoming porch. Unusually for a Georgian house, there is no fanlight above the door. To either side of the porch three are traditional three light windows giving the house a very symmetrical appearance.
The central section of the roof is flat but then a gentle slope leads into wide, oversailing eaves.
Resting back off the road in a copse of trees, Mullaghbrack House is a surprising and imposing find.
Brett, CEB, Buildings of County Armagh (Belfast, 1999)
Kerr, Rev.WG, Parish of Mullabrack (1953)
Lewis, S, Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (London, 1837)
McHugh, A Guide to St.John's Parish Church Mullabrack (Mullabrack, 1985)
In the accompanying recording, Rosaleen Kerr describes her home, Mullaghbrack House.
Use the audio controller to listen to this talk, given in 2003.