(Irish Grid Reference: H969357) 4 Lough Road, Mowhan, Markethill, Co. Armagh BT60 2LH.
Ballylane Reformed Presbyterian Church is situated in a glen a short distance
south of the village of Mowhan. The various meeting groups in this area were amalgamated
into a regular congregation in 1790.
In 1912, the congregation was united with another congregation from Ballenon. The Ballenon Meeting House and Hall is in the townland of Ballenan (note the alternative spelling) at 62 Corrinare Road, Poyntzpass, newry, Co.Down and is referred to as "The Bog Edge Meetin".
In 2003, the congregation was composed of approximately twenty families and had
approximately fifty communicants.
Sabbath worship is held every Sunday at half past midday. In the services, the word of God is very much the focus in the preaching and in the singing. The congregation without musical accompaniment sings the Psalms.
The church building is simple by design and has undergone numerous renovations. In April of 1998, a spacious new hall was opened beside the church building.
LIST OF CLERGY
1790-1798 Rev. Samuel Aiken
1802-1837 Rev. Hans Boggs
1839-1841 Rev. William Sweeney
1843-1875 Rev. Hutchinson McFadden
1876-1911 Rev. William McKnight
1913-1920 Rev. R Nevin Lyons
1924-1965 Rev. William Dodds
1966-1974 Rev. A C Gregg
1976-1981 Rev. Harry Ladley
1988-1996 Rev. James Ritchie
1998- Rev. A C Gregg
See Church History and Bookshop and Publications Committees of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland, The Covenanters in Ireland: A History of the Congregations (Cameron Press, Armagh, 2010): 102-106.