Situated in the Parish of Loughgilly on the Markethill to Glenanne road is the new Glenanne Gospel Hall. Gospel halls were once a common feature of rural life but sadly many have been lost to urban development. Glenanne Gospel Hall has by contrast endured and indeed flourished.
We know little in the form of definite information about the earlier hall and congregation. Many years ago a group of Christians met in a house in Mountnorris, practising only that which is clearly set out in the scriptures.
Growing in size the congregation erected a small corrugated iron hall on the roadside from Markethill to Glenanne. The building was constructed in 1923 and was divided into three bays. Outside the purpose of the hall was clearly indicated by the scripture texts to either side of the main entrance. On the one side "The wages of sin is death" and to the other "The gift of God is eternal life".
Among others to have preached in the hall are Mr.Tom Matthews (missionary to Brazil), Mr.TW Wright (missionary to Brazil), Mr.Sam Ferguson (Bangor), Mr.Norman Turkington (Lurgan), Mr.WJ Nesbitt (Dromore), Mr.Sam McBride (Tassagh), Mr.John Thompson (Lisburn) and Mr.Brian Glendinning (Cookstown).
In 2001 the congregation took the bold step of building a new hall equipped with modern facilities. The hall was completed in the space of one year and was formally opened on 12th and 13th April 2002.
The hall continues its ministry each Sunday evening at 7pm and meets for prayer on Tuesday evenings. All are welcome to attend.
Brett, CEB, Buildings of County Armagh (Belfast, 1999)
Additional information courtesy of Mr.Jonathan McIlveen.