The Chapel of Ease, situated on Main Street, Markethill was, in fact, the original courthouse and jail. Lord John de la Poer Beresford purchased the building for £500 to accommodate those parishioners who could not, or did not, wish to travel to the parish church at Mullabrack.
Reverend Beresford ministered at Mullabrack for ten years before the death of his brother elevated him to the status of Marquess of Waterford. It was on the occasion of his retirement from the incumbency in 1859 that he presented the Chapel of Ease to the congregation.
A tablet on the front of the building reads,
The building itself is of single-storey design with gabled walls, slate roof and a central bay.