Between 1762 and 1767, the renowned Methodist preacher John Wesley travelled widely throughout Co. Armagh. On one such journey, he met with Lord Gosford and discussed the possible construction of a Methodist church in the village of Markethill.
Lord Gosford granted the preacher a site in Keady Street upon which to build a simple church. The lease for the site was to be one shilling per year for a period of ninety nine years.
The present church building was constructed in 1833 but the gravestone of a Methodist minister at nearby Mullabrack Church records his death as 1819, indicating that a Methodist church probably existed on the site long before the present church was built.
As with most Methodist churches the interior is simple and totally without ornamentation. It is a rectangular building of unhewn stone with a slate roof measuring 49 feet long by 24 feet wide, and was built at a cost of £150.