Lisnadill Primary School is situated in the townland of Lisnadill.
Having established a Church and Rectory at Lisnadill, Archbishop Richard Robinson ordered a school to be built. Lisnadill National School was opened in 1780. In recognition of his involvement, the present school crest bears the coat of arms of the Archbishop.
The building was erected near Lisnadill Parish Church. Parishioners brought the stone from a nearby quarry and were much involved in building. The original whitewashed one-storey building contained one room, divided into two classrooms by a wooden partition. Initially thatched, the building was later slated. The schoolmaster lived in the attic of the schoolhouse until a permanent home was built for him in 1908.
The Local Church of Ireland minister and vestry controlled the school. Teaching staff were expected to be active within the Church. At one time, schoolmaster William Forbes combined his teaching duties with roles as Sunday School Superintendent, Secretary and Treasurer of the vestry and Church Organist. The Church paid teaching salaries.
Throughout the 1930's there were negotiations for the construction of a new building but the coming of war halted any decision. In 1958 a new building was constructed at the corner of Newtownhamilton and Drumconwell Road. At a cost of £10,000 the red bricked L-shaped building boasted two classrooms, office, dining room and meals kitchen. A large grass play area and tarmac playground were also developed.
Numbers continued to increase and warranted the employment of a part-time teacher, very quickly extended to full-time. With a current intake of almost 100 the school now has a principal and four additional teachers. All classes are conducted in mobile rooms with the main building being reserved for school offices, staff room and games hall.
PRINCIPALS SINCE 1906
1906-1943 Mr William Forbes
1943-1946 Mrs Mark
1946-1973 Mr Garrity
1973-1990 Mrs Crozier
1990- Mrs Woods