The City of Armagh is about 10 km north-west of Markethill.
"The historic centre of Armagh has developed over a period of some 1500 years from and around its original hilltop site now occupied by St. Patrick's Church of Ireland Cathedral. Development took place primarily northwards, eastwards and southwards along what are now English Street, Scotch Street and Irish Street with the steep slope to the west and the marshy ground of the present day Mall reinforcing that early pattern of growth." (Armagh Area Plan 2004: Armagh District Council Area,p. 31)