Glenanne lies 6.2 km from Markethill.
Glenanne is designated today as a hamlet. (Armagh Area Plan 2004: Armagh District Council Area)
McKay, P A Dictionary of Ulster Place-names (Belfast, 1999) notes:
Parish of Loughgilly, Barony of Orior Lower
The name Glenanne signifies simply 'Anne's Glen' and was originally the name of the house of George Gray who named it after his wife Eliza Anne, daughter of Rev.James Hewry of Corlough, County Cavan whom he married in 1808. The village was founded by William Atkinson who established extensive cotton and calico mills here about 1818, in the townland of Lisdrumchor Lower.
(Glen Anne, 1828)
In the accompany recording, Joseph Canning describes developments at Glenanne_Mossfield.
Use the audio controller to listen to this talk, given in 2003.
In the accompanying audio recording, Colin Lowry of Glenanne, talks about Glenanne in Lisdrumchor Lower (1min 49s).
Use the audio controller to listen to this talk, given in 2014.