The townland of Carricklane is in the parish of Kilclooney in Armagh County. It is labelled number 6 on the map. H954391
The Environment and Heritage Service Sites and Monuments Record (2002) notes the following in this townland:
Gosford Bawn, a 17th-century fortification
SMR NO: ARM 017:041
CONDITION: TRACES ONLY
"The bawn was built by Henry Acheson and was described in 1619 as "...a Bawne of clay and stone, being 120 feet long and 80 feet broad with four flankers. In this bawne there is a House, the one half is Stone and Lyme, and the upper part is Timber." Paterson noted that the remains of walls 2'7" thick survived, incorporated into the out-offices of a farm. BIBLIOGRAPHY:
HILL,G. 1877, 565-6
O.S. FIELD REPORT NO.50, 12
PATERSON,T.G.F. NOTES VOL.134
TREADWELL,V. 1960, 132
"The Forth", a mound, possibly site of an enclosure, of uncertain period
SMR NO: ARM 017:050
"Paterson recorded in his notes of 1920-20:- "Quite close to the Castle, [i.e. Gosford] but on the low lying ground is a curious circular mound called 'The Forth"'. This may refer to a natural hillock of outcropping rock c.50m SW of the site of the castle.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: PATERSON,T.G.F. MS.135"
PRONI records: FIN.23/2/2B/1191 (Landlord Earl of Gosford re tenant Henry Mc Cune.); FIN.23/2/2B/1286 (Landlord Earl of Gosford re tenant Thomas Dougan.); FIN.23/2/2B/1187 (Landlord Earl of Gosford re tenant Sarah Porter.); FIN.23/2/2B/1184 (Landlord Earl of Gosford re tenant Robert George Shields.); FIN.23/2/2B/1183 (Landlord Earl of Gosford re tenant George Porter.); FIN.23/2/2B/1182 (Landlord Earl of Gosford re tenant Robert Fullerton.); FIN.23/2/2B/995 (Landlord Henry B.Armstrong re tenant Owen Loughrane.); D.3727C 1920 (Deeds, rentals, correspondence, etc., re Armstrong family of Killylea and Deans Hill.C 1820); OS/6/2/17/1 (Surveyed 1835. Engraved 1835.); OS/6/2/17/2 (Surveyed 1835. Engraved 1835. Revised 1860. Engraved 1863.); OS/6/2/17/3 (Surveyed 1835. Revised 1906. Published 1908. Reprinted 1929, 1932.); OS/6/2/17/4 (Surveyed 1906. Revised 1954-5. Levelled 1889, 1892 and 1906. Published 1958 (2 copies).); OS/6/2/15/1 (Surveyed 1835. Engraved 1835.); OS/6/2/15/2 (Surveyed 1835. Revised 1860. Engraved 1863 (Stat file copy).); OS/6/2/15/3 (Surveyed 1835. Revised 1906. Published 1908. Reprinted 1929.); OS/6/2/15/4 (Surveyed 1835. Revised 1906. Published 1908. Reprint 1937, 1945, 1954 (2 copies).); OS/6/2/15/5 (Surveyed 1906. Revised 1955. Levelled 1888, 1904 and 1906. Published 1958 (2 copies).); OS/6/2/19/1 (Surveyed 1835. Engraved 1835.); OS/6/2/19/2 (Surveyed 1835. Engraved 1835. Revised 1860. Revisions engraved 1863 (2 copies).); OS/6/2/19/3 (Surveyed 1835. Revised 1906. Published 1908. Reprinted 1931 (2 copies, 2nd a reprint 1938, 1949).); OS/6/2/19/4 (Surveyed 1906. Revised 1955. Levelled 1904, 1906,and 1907. Published 1958 (2 copies).); VAL/1B/29A, VAL/1B/210A, VAL/1B/238 (1st valuation records.); VAL/12B/10/34A, VAL/12B/10/35A, VAL/12B/10/35B, VAL/12B/10/34B, VAL/12B/10/20A, VAL/12B/10/34C, VAL/12B/10/34D, VAL/12B/10/34E, VAL/12B/10/35C, VAL/12B/10/35D, VAL/12B/10/35E (Valuation annual revision list.); VAL/2B/2/9A, VAL/2B/2/43B (Griffith valuation list.).
In the accompanying audio recording, a pupil from Markethill Primary School talks about the townland of Carricklane.
Use the audio controller to listen to this talk, given in 2003.