The townland of Derrycughan is in the parish of Kilclooney in Armagh County. It is labelled number 13 on the map.
The 1826 Schools Commission report describes the school in the townland:
"Derrycughan - A pay school under the care of James McMurray, of the Presbyterian denomination, who was in receipt of 7l per annum. The school operated in a one-roomed thatched house built at a cost of 10l. The school provided education for approximately 30 scholars."
Paterson (Armachiana, Vol. 16, p.212 ) notes:
PRONI records: FIN.23/2/2B/1198 (Landlord Francis R. Cope re Alexander Woods, tenant.); OS/6/2/17/1 (Surveyed 1835. Engraved 1835.); OS/6/2/17/2 (Surveyed 1835. Engraved 1835. Revised 1860. Engraved 1863.); OS/6/2/17/3 (Surveyed 1835. Revised 1906. Published 1908. Reprinted 1929, 1932.); OS/6/2/17/4 (Surveyed 1906. Revised 1954-5. Levelled 1889, 1892 and 1906. Published 1958 (2 copies).); VAL/1B/216 (1st valuation records.); VAL/12B/10/34A, VAL/12B/10/34B, VAL/12B/10/34C, VAL/12B/10/21A, VAL/12B/10/21B (Valuation annual revision list.); VAL/2B/2/9A (Griffith valuation list.); D/1553 (Poster announcing spelling Bee to be held in school house.).
In the accompanying audio recording, Betty Stewart talks about Derrycughan Primary School (1min 13s).
Use the audio controller to listen to this talk, given in 2013.