The townland of Derryraine is in the parish of Kildarton in Armagh County. It is labelled number 4 on the map.
Paterson (Armachiana, Vol. 16, p.212 ) notes:
Derryraine. "The oakwood of the ferns". Raine is derived from "rathain" meaning ferns. They probably grew in profusion in the days when the townland was wooded. They give name to numerous places
Derry (Doire) is one of the most prolific roots in Irish place-names giving name to about 60 townlands and entering as a prefix into the names of over 500 others, an indication of the former abundance of such trees. It occurs in County Armagh as a place-name and in various combinations. The situation of the townland on the breast (uchta) of rising ground is indicative of the origin of the termination.
The 1826 Schools Commission report describes the school in the townland:
"Derryrain - A pay school under the care of Francis Daly, of the Church of Ireland denomination, who was in receipt of 6l per annum. The school was held in a barn and provided education for 50 scholars."
PRONI records: D.943/2 (Graham estate.); OS/6/2/13/1 (Surveyed 1834-35. Engraved 1835.); OS/6/2/13/2 (Surveyed 1834-35. Revised 1860. Engraved 1863 (Stat file copy).); OS/6/2/13/3 (Surveyed 1834-35. Revised 1905-06. Published 1930.); OS/6/2/13/4 (Surveyed 1905-06. Revised 1954-55. Levelled 1888 and 1892 and 1902, 1905-1906. Levels part revised 1948. Published 1958. (2 copies).); OS/6/2/17/1 (Surveyed 1835. Engraved 1835.); OS/6/2/17/2 (Surveyed 1835. Engraved 1835. Revised 1860. Engraved 1863.); OS/6/2/17/3 (Surveyed 1835. Revised 1906. Published 1908. Reprinted 1929, 1932.); OS/6/2/17/4 (Surveyed 1906. Revised 1954-5. Levelled 1889, 1892 and 1906. Published 1958 (2 copies).); VAL/1B/213 (1st valuation records.); VAL/12B/10/24A, VAL/12B/10/24B, VAL/12B/10/24C, VAL/12B/10/24D (Valuation annual revision list.); VAL/2B/2/12B (Griffith valuation list.).