THE TOWNLAND OF MULLANARY

The townland of Mullanary is in the parish of Kilmore in Armagh County. It is labelled number 39 on the map.

Paterson (Armachiana, Vol. 16, p.245 notes:

The Environment and Heritage Service Sites and Monuments Record (2002) notes the following in this townland:

Rath from the Early Christian Period.
SMR NO: ARM 017:013
GRIDREF: J01543982
CONDITION: TRACES ONLY
"The 1835 OS 6" map shows a large circular ‘Fort’ c.50m in diam., but a rather smaller earthwork c.45m in diam. is indicated on the 1863 edition. Today, only a short length of the perimeter on the SW has survived. Here a substantial bank, c.4m wide still stands c.1.2m above the interior. From the top of the bank, there is a drop of c.3m to a waterlogged ditch, 4.5m across x 0.8m deep. Outside the ditch is a low bank, c.0.3m high which is probably upcast from recent recutting of the ditch."

Rath from the Early Christian Period.
SMR NO: ARM 017:014
GRIDREF: J01474045
CONDITION: SOME REMAINS
"This large, roughly circular earthwork has been considerably eroded by cultivation and only a low platform 57m N-S x 61m E-W has survived. The perimeter around the NE is best preserved by incorporation in a field boundary & a bank c.3m wide x 1.4m high can be seen amidst the undergrowth. Around the N, the interior is level with the ground outside, but towards W & S it has been raised 0.6-1 m. Although this part of the site is poorly preserved, a slight scarp can be seen."

Rath from the Early Christian Period.
SMR NO: ARM 017:015
GRIDREF: J01833996
CONDITION: TRACES ONLY
"A small circular earthwork, C.35m in diam. is marked on the 1863 OS 6" map & labelled "Fort" on the 1835 edition. The S & W sides have been disturbed by C19th building & a deserted settlement lies W. A field boundary crosses the N of the site ENE-WSW & N of this cultivation has removed almost all traces The arc of a shallow ditch C.10m wide x 0.6m deep survives S of the field boundary, disturbance & vegetation precluded examination. Field reports of 1960s state that the E part of the ditch was now a flax dam."

Enclosure of uncertain period.
SMR NO: ARM 017:058
GRIDREF: J0140
NOT PRECISELY LOCATED
BIBLIOGRAPHY: - PATERSON,T.G.F. NOTES, VOL.135.

PRONI records: OS/6/2/10/1 (Surveyed 1834-35. Engraved 1835.); OS/6/2/10/2 ([Not received].); OS/6/2/10/3 (Surveyed 1834-35. Revised 1905. Published 1908.Reprinted 1931.); OS/6/2/10/4 (Surveyed 1905. Revised 1953 and 1955. Levelled 1889 to 1905 and 1948. Published 1959. (2 copies).); OS/6/2/14/1 (Surveyed 1834-35. Engraved 1835.); OS/6/2/14/2 (Surveyed 1834. Revised 1860. Engraved 1863 (Stat file copy).); OS/6/2/14/3 (Surveyed 1834-35. Revised 1906. Published 1908. Reprinted 1929. (2 copies).); OS/6/2/14/4 (Surveyed 1834-35. Revised 1906. Levelled 1905-06.Published 1908. Reprint 1951 and 1958.); OS/6/2/14/5 (Surveyed 1834. Revised 1860. Engraved 1863 (Stat file copy). Reprinted 1937 with mss markings in red and stamped ref 2569, 2570.); OS/6/2/14/6 (Surveyed 1906. Revised 1954. Levelled 1892, 1902 and 1904-06. Published 1958 (2 copies).); VAL/12B/11/4A, VAL/12B/11/14B, VAL/12B/11/14B, VAL/12B/11/4C, VAL/12B/11/4D, VAL/12B/11/4E, VAL/12B/11/4F (Valuation annual revision list.); VAL/2B/2/33 (Griffith valuation list.).

Parish map with townlands J014405


The townland of xxxx.